Cupping Therapy utilizes glass cups and a machine to create a vacuum effect on the body surface for therapeutic purposes. These cups are moved gently over the skin using various techniques.
The difference between this Cupping Therapy from cupping in Chinese medicine is that the approach is to keep a dynamic cup that is moving instead of static. At times the cup may be parked shortly to facilitate joint mobilization or soft tissue release, but never long enough to cause cup kisses, a discoloration of the skin that is most common in Chinese acupuncture.
This therapy can have effects like:
- sedating the nervous system;
- releasing deep muscular issues of soft tissue and organs;
- releasing and softening scar tissue and adhesions;
- improving circulation of lymph and blood, opening energy flow of the body;
- decreasing pain and inflammation, and increasing joint movement.
In Cupping Therapy, I have found that one of the most amazing aspects of the suction and lifting technique is the “separation” that it produces in layers of tissue.
This separation enables water absorption and renewed blood flow to undernourished and dehydrated tissue, as well as the elimination of old waste and congestion.
It is evident that the separation and drainage of fused and congested soft tissue produces and increases overall bodily function, and as a result, it can be a great catalyst for optimum health.
• Pain relief
• Joint mobilization
• Lymph drainage
• Detoxification- movement of stagnation
• Releasing tight, contracted muscle tissue
• Scar reduction
• Assisting with weight loss programs
• Cellulite reduction – movement of stagnation
• Skin toning and firming
• Chronic pain and restriction
• Arthritis, Tendonitis, Bursitis
• Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
• Pre & post-surgery
• Sports injuries, pre and post event
• Structural limitations – old injuries, chronic movement patterns